Tuesday 2 March 2010

Musical Etiquette

Last week I performed at a gig on the same billing as Guy Chambers, Katie Melua, Faith SFX and Kirsty Almeida.

Kirsty and I had already agreed that I would help her out and play a little harp and do some singing with her. We had arranged to go over chords in sound check and squeeze in a little rehearsal. I played the harp on her last album and we've spoken more times than we've actually met.

I'm seated behind my harp and this girl walks in, pretty as a picture with shot cropped hair and a hat on her head. Not sure if she is Kirsty or not.. I greet her half enthusiastically,, more checking her response to me.. and a few mintues later it's her turn on soundcheck.

As I'm standing there staring at her I'm thinking, I'm just not sure if that is Kirsty.. I forgot how beautifully she sings.. she's much prettier than I remember....

Then the conversation that promptly follows between is the following..

Me: HI, I'm sorry I didn't recognise you you've cut your hair you look great. It's soo lovely
Girl on stage: Oh thanks, I just cut it a few days ago, pleased you like it.
Me: so... er do you still want me to do the songs...
GOS: ( long pause,, look of bewilderment) ... Oh .. er.. if you have the songs I'm happy to do them
Me: (that's wierd i thought she wanted me to do the songs for her) Oh.. so do you have the songs?
GOS: WEll if you get the songs I'll have a go for sure
Me: So do you know what chords there are? do you have chords?
GOS: If you bring me the chords I'll have a look? ( she's probably thinking .. nutter!)
Me: ( not wishing to e rude or let her down) But I think we probably needed to rehearse right?
GOS: yes I agree I think if we'd had time for the rehearsal it would have been better do them right?
Me: ( slight relief,, clearly this is Kirsty she's making reference to our rehearsal..) Yes... so I think we should leave it this time them if that's ok with you?
GOS: yes I agree with you,, that's fine by me.. maybe next time?


Of course 5 minutes later, the real Kirsty shows up and I realise It was Katie M and not Kirsty A with whom I was talking too.
I later went on to laugh about with Katie who must have thought I 'd gone totally insane,, but Hats off to you Katie.. you handled yourself with true grace, style and professionalism.

A lesson to you those of you out there in Musical Etiquette between two terribly polite artists not wishing to offend!

I later went on to embarass myself again in a brand new case of mistaken identity with somebody else that night, whom I merrilly insisted that I knew and had met last year and Steve and David's Christmas party. Clearly I'd drunk just a bit too much water that night!

No comments:

Post a Comment